Richard's Gardens

A record of my final year at university......and beyond

31 January 2006

Seed Sculpture



Whilst flicking through the latest edition of Gardens Illustrated I came across an article about the sculptor Barbro Raen Thomassen who examines weed seeds close up, then sculpts them in Portland limestone.

This, together with her landform art, has triggered off all sorts of ideas for my detailed area. Seating, impressions of seeds in paving materials, mounds representing the shapes of bits of old mechanised farming machinery...my head is spinning!

Her web site is www.raenthomassen.no - worth a look!

It's always good to talk through ideas with others (preferably with other designers/design students). As Kemal commented, often your own ideas become stale and can't move on in isolation. Perhaps there would be some benefit in setting up an additional student workshop to talk through ideas before presentation (a pre crit crit for students?).


Dickie

5 Comments:

  • At 9:55 am, Blogger mary said…

    i so agree Richard, Excellent idea
    Good staff
    Mary

     
  • At 10:14 am, Blogger Jackie Edwards said…

    I'd be up for that - talking to everyone else always helps me focus my ideas. Good idea.

     
  • At 11:05 am, Blogger Raina said…

    sounds good to me too.

     
  • At 5:29 pm, Blogger Annie said…

    Interesting web-site - liked the landform section too.

     
  • At 12:22 am, Blogger rg301 said…

    liking it rich! good website 2! its a shame you had the idea! if only it was mine! haha

     

Post a Comment

<< Home