Richard's Gardens

A record of my final year at university......and beyond

16 June 2006

Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Karl Foerster'



This is one of my favourite grasses. I used it a lot in my planting plans for the detailed area (and managed to spell the name incorrectly every time!)

Anyway, the reason for this entry - my lack of knowledge of plants. I have bought this plant several times from Coblands for clients, after seeing it at Barrier Park in late summer.

Each time I bought it I questioned Coblands over whether they had made a mistake as it never resembled the plant that I had seen in the aforementioned park (which had looked like the grass in the middle picture).

I therefore bought some for myself to check whether they had in fact made a mistake.

I watched as they developed this spring. As the flower heads opened I thought I'd been sold the wrong plant again! The flower heads opened wide and didn't look anything like the tight, dun coloured flower heads that I had admired in Barrier Park. Before phoning Coblands and berating Nigel Gibson once more, I thought I should do some research on the net.... Oh dear, my mistake - the flower heads initially are tight, they then open wide, with feathery pink heads, which then tighten as they then turn a dun colour in late summer before the stems become bleached and upright to give good structure through the winter.

So, sorry Nigel, my mistake, but easily made!

Now I know, there is even more reason to use it - Like having three different plants in one, with a long season of interest.

Dickie

1 Comments:

  • At 8:36 am, Blogger NOT a happy bunny and cous! said…

    Very interesting snippet of info there Rich. Being a fan of most ornamental grasses I might have some of those, as I am about to embark on a plant spending spree with all of the money I have saved over the last year! Keep posting...I'm always looking for new inspiration.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home