Richard's Gardens

A record of my final year at university......and beyond

20 July 2006

Success at last



I bought this Agapanthus orientalis sp. from Homebase several years ago. It was in full bloom and looked great. I cosseted it, kept it in a pot, brought it inside for winter but had scant success - no blooms for the first couple of years. In desperation it was planted directly beneath a south facing fence - still no luck. Finally (and it was in danger of being discarded) I fed it regularly with 'Tomorite' and I've been rewarded with three flower heads, so it can stay (despite looking dreadful in winter). It's hidden from view in winter by the Lonicera nitita 'Nana'? ball and it's working well with the Melianthus major in the background.

I'm pleased with the Canna Tropicana (although they seem to be flowering very early?)
The light looks good shining through the leaves. In the foreground is a stunted Stipa gigantea (I have problems growing this - maybe the soil is too wet in winter?). In the background is Miscanthus s. 'Zebrinus'. Each year I think it has reverted a plain old Miscanthus as I always forget that the banding that gives it it's name does not appear until mid summer.

Dickie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home